We’ve had Знциклопедия Кройки и Шитья (Encyclopedia of Cutting and Sewing) (ISBN 978-985-16-3833-4) at the workroom for a bit now and find it really useful for native Russian speakers who may have a handle on English but want to be able to review information in a more organic way.
This is one of the two books we have in Russian and is by far the best one we have found so far. It was published in 2008, so the language and visual style are up to date and sharp.
The directions and pictures are clean and sharp and it covers exactly the techniques and tools you would expect from a beginner/intermediate book.
- Basic tools: Irons, tracing, chalk, needles, etc.
- Basic pattern manipulation, fitting, and layout
- Types of fabrics and grainilne terminology
- Hand-stitching rundown, both functional and decorative
- Seams and seam treatments for the machine sewer
- Construction of collars, facings, and plackets
- Sleeves, the concept of ease, bindings, and specialty plackets
- Waistband construction, basic dart construction
- Pocket construction with multiple variation (including welted pocket)
- Hems and finishing details
Just such a good comprehensive sewing manual for the native Russian speaker.
It can be hard to find or expensive, though. If you are in Chicago, you may want to give the Russian bookstore up on Devon a call before you order it from the link we gave to Amazon.